Perhaps it’s because our youngest will be finishing up school shortly – I see my focus on this blog is shifting. Oh, I’m still passionate about free range education and love to talk to anyone who’s interested in it. It’s a topic I’ll still visit – just less frequently.
This season in my life is focusing on mindbody topics. Having dealt with chronic pain for many years, I have been in the process of walking out my healing using a mindbody approach. (This approach doesn’t focus on “structural” issues but rather internal stuff and personality traits.) By the way – my many years in homeschool circles have shown me that many (the majority?) HS moms deal with chronic health issues like Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia.
But are these topics really disparate? I’ve come to the conclusion: Not so much. Both industrialized medicine or education depend upon a similar playbook, like:
- They’re both big bu$iness.
- Both create passive dependents with a few people at the top making all the decisions for the majority. I’m the expert, do as I say. And don’t dare question my godhood.
- The needs of the institution outweigh the individual. (Hello? Managed Care? And we all know how well one-size-fits-all education works for many kids.)
- Both create consumers. (Take this pill, consume this arbitrary curriculum)
- Perpetuate immaturity and victimhood. (There’s a diagnostic code for that! – It’s not my fault I’m an asshole. Just getting the right person in office will open a job up for me.)
Learning to live fully requires rejecting the status quo and reclaiming our freedom that was our birthright long before the Founding Fathers penned our Constitution.
Filed under: education, Free Range Education, Individuality, MindBodySyndrome, Public schooling, TMS | Tagged: education, freedom, MBS (Mind Body Syndrom), public education, TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrom) | Leave a comment »